SA Catholic Online Gives New Life to Old Books
We have developed and perfected a process of giving old, out-of-print books a new lease on life.
These books fall into two main categories:
- Special books for which the copyright has expired and which are therefore in the Public Domain;
- Those whose copyright owners commission new iterations of the original.
The new version can either be:
- A REPLICA of the original, in which case the old book is reproduced as is, without alteration, and only minor note or explanations added
- A NEW Edition, in which case the original is re-edited and new material added
- OR A combination of both the above.
The process involves scanning the text of the original book - this can be done without destroying or harming the original - and converting it to a word processing document. Publishing software is then used to rebuild the book from scratch. The same process is applied to illustrations or pictures - they are scanned and digitally enhanced or improved as necessary.